Almost everyone with Fibromyalgia has heard the phrase “wow you’ve really let yourself go since becoming sick.” For anyone with Fibromyalgia this isn’t a surprise since it tends to suck everything out of you. It can even become a full time job with managing doctors appointments, insurance claims, and medications. It sucks out your energy and forces to make time for only the important things, and to not worry about the extras. So here’s 10 things I’ve gotten rid of in order to “let myself go.”
1.Shaving– Ain’t no one got time for that. It’s practically an Olympic sport trying to contort yourself in the shower so you can reach your legs. I’ve actually pulled back muscles before, not surprising when I’m trying to get in a position only designed for contortionists. Sometimes I just pretend I’m too feminist to shave, even though the real reason is laziness.
2. Jeans– Nothing irritates my sensitive skin like jeans. The squeeze you so much around the middle you feel like you’re a balloon about to pop.
3. High heels– My feet and legs hurt enough already. I’m not about to slip them into the equivalent of two torture devices designed to punish women for being female. I consider it a win if I’m not wearing slippers in public.
4. Comparing myself to the old me– I’m not going to sit around an moan about what a cool person I used to be, and I’m not willing to let other people moan about it either. I got sick, I changed, end of story. Now I’m a new brand of awesome.
5. Clean car-My car is disgusting. I blame the tiny humans that came out of me that are now no longer tiny. I think they should clean it, but obviously they do not agree.
6. Obsessing over my weight – Yes illness has brought a few new pounds, but overall I accept my body so everyone else needs to accept it too. Life is too short to worry about things I can’t control, and to be clear, I have very little control about my weight.
7. Bras– Aka torture devices invented by the Patriarchy. I will bow to convention and wear one in public, but if you stop by my house unaccounted you will get a show so be prepared.
8. Perfect Eyebrows– I can go from perfectly waxed to uni-brow in like three days, so I’m not going to spend time every day shaping the stupid things. I accept my resemblance to Chewbacca.
9. Spotless house– Never going to happen. Every time something gets clean, someone else messes it up again. It’s a losing battle I’m not willing to fight anymore.
10. Straight hair- I just don’t have the dexterity to squeeze a straightener anymore, so now I’ve embraced the frizz. Yes I bear a slight resemblance to Carrot Top without the carrot, but it saves me a lot of time and energy to go natural.